Wednesday, September 2, 2009

D-Day

Superheroes don't have to stand alone. Batman has Robin (and Alfred the trusty butler), Superman had the Kent family, who took him in as a baby, and Lois Lane among others. Superheroes count themselves blessed to have a support system.

The tests are in... and I'm still looking healthy. Except for the lymph node biopsies that were definitively metastatic cancer, one might think I'm healthy. The PET scan came out clean, the MRI and breast biopsy were inconclusive. The surgeon even took my case to their group discussion last week. The overwhelming concensus is that she should do a mastectomy on my left breast, as well as remove the cancerous lymph nodes. And that's what I've decided to do... tomorrow!

Dr. Reading has been amazing. She wanted me to take my time, she offered to set up appointments so that I could get a second opinion, counseling to help me explore my options, and more! But, I still feel like this is the beginning of the journey, not the end-- and the mastectomy decision just feels right. It has been a matter of prayer, but more importantly a matter of comfort and I'm ready to move forward. My mother thinks I should explore alternative medicine options; actually she has probably been more upset about my decision than anyone else.

I met with the plastic surgeon yesterday and it was another amazing experience. When Dr. Reading finishes with the mastectomy this afternoon (it's after midnight, so the surgery is technically today), Dr. Chen will perform a procedure that will be the first step toward reconstruction. She's encouraging me to think about what I want my body to look like as a finished product. She says I can have anything I want. The actual reconstruction surgery won't take place for another 6 months or so because I will do chemotherapy, etc. first.

I thought the goal was to replace something that was lost-- but she says I don't need to stop there. She also explained the kind of surgery she will perform. I'm counting this as another blessing.

The people in my neighborhood/ward have been wonderful as well. I think I knew people generally liked me-- in that "Hi-how're you doing-what's new" kind of way. I'm already overwhelmed at the sacrifices people are willing to make in my behalf. I'm almost afraid to start making a list of the blessings that are popping up right and left, mostly in the form of friends stepping forward to help out.

Among the blessings for which I'm thankful... amazing doctors and how the practice of medicine has changed in the last 23 years. I thought my doctor then was kind and supportive-- everyone I've encountered so far this time around has not only met his standard, but maybe even exceeded it.

I'd hate to start counting neighbors and friends because I would be afraid I'd miss someone. So let's count just a few of the services people have offered to perform: Drive me to the hospital. Pick me up from the hospital. Visit me in the hospital even though I'll only be there overnight. Bring me my favorite treats. Bring in meals for Mom, Dad and me. Visit me at home after I get out. Pray in my behalf. Take me to doctor appointments. Stay with Dad so that Mom can go with me. Babysit Sammie, the Flying Wonder Dog, and visiting children (relatives), so that Mom or Mari could go with me to appointments. Referrals to their doctors and oncologists, i.e., people that they trust and have trusted with their own lives, so that I can get the best possible care.

These have not been idle words. Even though my surgery isn't until tomorrow, many have already performed these services. To be perfectly honest, it is extremely humbling. What have I ever done in my life to deserve this outpouring of love. How can I ever express my gratitude to them.

Thanks to everyone!! May you be amply rewarded for all of the love and the kindnesses that have been extended to me and to my family. You're GREAT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment