Sunday, September 13, 2009

Limits

I guess that there are limits to what I can do-- and going to work all week was apparently more difficult than I thought at the time.

I've spent the weekend in my pajamas-- taking naps and lounging on the chaise in the living room or on the bed. I just haven't had the energy to do much else.

We had stake conference this weekend, but I stayed home from both sessions. I've felt guilty about that. When I was a kid, if we were too sick to go to school, we were definitely too sick to play outside or go to some desired activity. I've carried that philosophy over into adulthood, if I'm too sick to go to work, then I'm too sick to go shopping (except for essentials) or to a movie or anything else. But the opposite is also true, if I'm well enough to go to work, then I should be well enough to attend any church meeting or other extracurricular meeting when I have a responsibility to attend.

Maybe it's a matter of understanding one's limits and establishing priorities. I definitely need to ponder more on this subject.

Superheroes know themselves well enough to know how to pace themselves. They know when to stop and when they need to push a little harder. Superheroes understand the reasoning behind the commandment and are able to implement it in their own lives: "And see that all ... things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man [or woman] should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he [or she] should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefor, all things must be done in order." (Mosiah 4:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment