Friday, August 21, 2009

Still waiting

The results of the breast tissue biopsy are in... and still inconclusive. That means they found some cells that could be associated with cancer, but they appear in normal breast tissue for some healthy women. In other words, it might, but it might not be the source of my cancer.

Actually, the results were due in on Monday. When I still hadn't heard I called late in the day on Tuesday to see where things stood. The doctor was busy, so I was transferred to her nurse. She came onto the phone saying that Dr. Reading hadn't had a chance to look at the results yet, but that she had looked at them. She sounded so happy to inform me that the pictures were looking clear. She just didn't understand that we were already beyond that point-- we already know I have cancer. The goal is to establish its source. I immediately understood that it meant we needed to keep looking.

So, Monday I'm having the PET scan, which will examine from head to toe. If something shows up, we can either biopsy it or go ahead with the surgery. If nothing shows up, it will bring peace of mind that we don't need to keep looking. We will have done everything we could to locate the source. Regardless of the results , I plan to have a lumpectomy for the maybe/maybe not spot that showed up in this last biopsy. I will also have the cancerous lymph nodes removed. Then it will be on to the chemo and/or radiation follow-up.

So, we're still plugging along.

No comments:

Post a Comment