Saturday, August 15, 2009

Normal days

One of the things I am most thankful for are "regular days." Even though today was Saturday, it was filled with lots of activity.

I woke up and took Sammie for a little walk outside. Our yard isn't fenced, so I can't just turn her loose-- she has too many friends in the neighborhood and too much curiosity. I can't trust her to stay in the yard for any length of time.

I don't know what this week will bring-- so I went to work for about 4-1/2 hours. It's kind of nice that the work week runs from Saturday through Friday, so I got a jump start on next week. Plus I'm trying to save all of my vacation and sick leave for when I really need it.

We've been trying to get the basement bathroom finished and needed to buy a toilet and new fixtures for the vanity. I had a toilet and new fixtures but had to return them for various reasons. The tale of the bathroom is too long and convoluted to repeat... but the waste water pipe from the toilet was too close to the wall. One week after having the floor tile laid, the plumber had to pull up 4 tiles from the floor, cut the concrete and dig a 2-ft. cubic hole into the ground to get access to the pipe. He had to install new pipe in order to move it, then refill the hole and pour new concrete. Now we have to lay new tile (fortunately, I had enough tile left over from the job) before the toilet can be installed. The result was that I needed to go shopping.

Mom took Dad and Mari's visiting grandsons, Isaac and Ethan (aged 8 and 4), to the park and then out for frozen custard. That freed Mari up to go with me. We found a toilet that we both liked and a different faucet for the vanity that is close enough to work with the shower fixtures.

More importantly I wanted Mari to see the wig I liked. Now that it's the end of the day, I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not. She liked the shorter wigs better, but I thought they were all a little too top heavy. I didn't like that the shorter wigs tended to draw a visual line across the widest part of my face and didn't have anything to soften my jawline. She also preferred the darker wigs because she felt that I will need to add color to my face. Last time I was so sick that color in my face was totally washed out. She thought the blonde wouldn't provide enough contrast to a pale face. By the time we had been in the store an hour, I didn't like the last week's wig either. I decided to keep looking...

We got home and had pizza for dinner. I spent some time with the boys, read the paper and took Sammie for our evening walk. I read my Scriptures a bit before I got up this morning and look forward to closing out the day in the same way.

I've been busy all day, but it hasn't been a "special" day, just normal activity. No drama. No trauma. Just life and being around people I care about-- and isn't that what life is about?

Superheroes find pleasure in simple day-to-day activities. Life doesn't have to be harried and stressful. The essential tasks for today were accomplished and a few non-essential ones as well. In a few weeks, I may be too tired or too uncomfortable or even too sick to leave the house. I'm just happy to have a regular day!

No comments:

Post a Comment