Saturday, February 28, 2009

New addition

Today I became a parent. I acquired a Shorkie puppy (half Shih Tzu, half Yorkshire terrier), who as yet remains nameless.

Mom & I have been discussing getting a dog or cat for the past year. In September she asked me if I wanted a dog or a cat for Christmas. I've been the skittish one. Having a pet is like having a child, there is a responsibility involved that should not be taken lightly. I'm now responsible for the care and feeding and the training of one of Heavenly Father's darling creatures.

When I was in college and home for the summer, I bought an Irish setter puppy. Dad took her back to the pet store. He said that it wasn't fair to the dog because I hadn't carefully considered the dog's welfare once I returned to school. Setters are good-sized dogs that need lots of exercise-- what would she do while I was at school, at work, or doing homework. She needed lots of attention and I wouldn't be in a position to give it to her. Shawn (my youngest brother) didn't speak to me for a week-- because he had already gotten attached to her &, from his viewpoint, "why did she (meaning me) bring the dog home if she knew she couldn't keep it." At the time I was willing to take the chance that I would be able to keep her, but I hadn't really thought much about her needs. My reasons were somewhat selfish because I just saw how much fun she would be to have around. I hadn't really considered the consequences of my decision as it affected the dog.

Our nameless puppy won't be alone. Actually, I probably wouldn't have bought her except that Mom cried when she held the puppy. My mother never cries to manipulate a situation, it was just that she wanted the puppy so much. Mom & Dad sold their home and moved in with me 18 months ago partially for financial reasons, but mostly because it was getting too stressful to maintain a house and take care of Dad. Dad hasn't been particularly excited about getting a pet, but he is also part of the reason for buying her.

My father had a stroke 6 years ago. His condition has declined a lot in the past year. It's getting harder and harder for him to move his feet. We use the wheelchair when we go out in public. Physical therapy doesn't seem to be helping any more. I thought a small dog might provide some companionship and some entertainment when he is no longer able to leave his bed.

Superheroes never act without considering the consequences of their decisions. They make decisions based upon what is best for everyone who might be affected by their choices. In this case, my decision was based on what is best for my parents and for the puppy-- not necessarily what is easiest for me.

P.S. I'm open to suggestions for her name. At the moment the frontrunners are Sophie and Tinkerbell (Bella).

No comments:

Post a Comment