Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Friend" and I

When I started college, I shared an apartment with 5 other young women and this frog. He didn't have a name because we didn't want to limit his personality. We just called him "Friend."

I have had mixed emotions about adding a personal profile or posting pictures of myself. Those who already know me are familiar with my appearance; adding pictures for them seems redundant. My question to those who do not know me well is "Would a photo become a distraction to getting to know me?"

On a day-to-day basis, superheroes go around disguised as ordinary people. We only recognize them in times of emergency because that's when they don their superhero garb. How often do we walk among superheroes unaware of their amazing abilities and talents? As we meet each new person, what are we thinking? Are we looking for their superpowers, looking for a kindred spirit? Or, are we, like villians, sizing them up for weaknesses to be criticized and exploited?

Superheroes look for the good in people, for that which is worth preserving. Superheroes acknowledge human weakness and failure, not for exploitation, but to determine what actions are necessary to save the needy soul. They look for ways to strengthen those who need their help.

When we look for superheroes in our lives, do we look for the intimate details of their lives-- or does how we feel when we are around them take precendence?

I have come to no firm conclusions. How do you feel about the subject? You can cast your vote in the poll that appears in the right margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment