Saturday, March 21, 2009

A day in the life...

Superheroes must have some time management secrets-- otherwise, how could they cram all of their superhero activities into a single day and still have time for their alterego selves to hold a job and have a personal life. I just wish that they would share these secrets with the rest of us.

I started this blog with the intention of writing every single day or at least 5 times a week. A week later I bought a dog and find that I'm lucky to get the newspaper and my scriptures read during the 6 hours between the moment I get home and the time I go to bed. Since Mom usually fixes dinner, I generally take care of the dishes and clean up. It's a challenge to even squeeze out the few minutes needed to complete that task.

We've learned that we ignore the puppy at our own peril. Sammie has a curiosity that knows no bounds. We've started closing doors that we used to leave open. We've had to baby-proof the house, i.e., put things at levels that the puppy can't reach. If we don't watch her every minute, she's apt to poop on the floor instead of outside. We've learned her basic schedule, but she's not a little robot and is apt to have "accidents."

When she wants to play, she doesn't like to play alone. We have socks and chew toys and teething toys and cardboard boxes that are designated as her playthings. If we don't keep her mouth occupied, there's a good chance that she'll nip us to get our attention.

I'm not a complete moron when it comes to time management. I've attended classes that taught me to set priorities and to take care of the "big" things first and then fill in the leftover spaces with smaller things. I guess puppies truly are like children-- and they qualify as a high priority. I'm hoping that life will get easier as Sammie learns the rules and chooses to keep them. It's all part of training the "little ones" in our lives.

In the meantime, I'm open for suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment